Players: Dave and D
Summary: Dave goes out to Hollywood to visit and gets upset with how D’s coworkers see him until he snaps and he throws a Strider sized hissy fit that ruins some of D’s set. Rated Teen.
Dave manages to contain his awe over the freaking size of the set they had going on for D’s newest project. Just for the laughs, D had them rebuild the entire front half Irish castle in one of the lots. It’s all made of foam instead of rock. The size of it is jaw dropping and the detail they put into it, amazing. Makes Dave wonder why they just don’t film it in Ireland, and then he remembers who his brother is. Also, since it is all foam, all of the destruction they do on the inside will be filmed live instead of digitally constructed. They will still do digital enhancements of course, but it’s hard to perfectly recreate a chunk or two slamming into an actor’s cheek.
I really don’t want to go to work tomorrow
the heat in all black outfits
the mean workers
Through the Lens of Adam Young: Part1 (2011)
Imma just let this sit here
Happy birthday Adam!! THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU AND DOING WHAT YOU DO!!!
okay so I’ve seen a lot of really cool things around the internet so I thought I’d compile a bunch of references and fun things into one easy post for y’all! this has been a real long time in the making but it’s finally finished uwu (◡‿◡✿)
- any links on this masterpost broken? use this!BEING AN ADULT
- 50 sci fi and fantasy works every socialist should read
- a simple unbiased political resource for young adults in the uk
- a whole bunch of cv/resume templates
- any lipstick colour you want for cheap
- college survival masterpost
- food for broke college kids
- how to answer common job interview questions
- how to become an adult
- how to look busy even when you’re not
- learn languages
- need to escape from a bad home situation?
- short introductions to politics and other grown up issues
- should i vote ukip?
- what are my transferable skills?
- what the fuck should i make for dinner?
- writing a cover letterCHEER UP
- 24/7 cute animal livestreams
- 7 cups of tea
- cute websites
- feeling ok?
- feeling stressed?
- for when u hav feelings
- for when ur sad my lil pumpkin
- happy things
- positivity tag
- trekkie care packageFILMS
- afi’s top 100
- all the disney and pixar u could want
- animated faves
- find a good movie to watch
- ghibli \ wes anderson \ sofia coppola
- good movies to watch whenever
- lgbtqia+ movies
- lovely big movie masterpost
- ooo scary movies
- studio ghibli subs n dubs
- totally 90’s
- what do you mean we’re not 10 any more?FOOD
- a whole bunch of delicious recipes
- breakfast on the go
- cheap and healthy snacks
- ever wanted to try lembas bread?
- lavender lemonade
- make your own vitamin water
- microwave mug snacks
- my food and recipe tag
- no more ramen
- quick and easy snacks
- quick and easy soups
- recipes from your favourite fandoms
- smoothie recipes for every occasion
- study snacks
- supercook ingredient match
- thinking about going vegan?FUN STUFF
- cute games
- if ur real bored
- coolio psychological games to make u think
- easy blanket nest
- more cutie games
- plants that help bees
- realistic drawings and animations of plants
- reject someone in elvish
- waste time!
- write a letter to a disney characterGENDER & SEXUALITY
- chest binder tutorial
- helpcorgi’s gender + sexuality masterpost
- if someone tries to tell you your sexuality isn’t natural
- lgbtqia+ movies
- movies about gay ladies
- music monday
- resources for cis allies
- roundup of the best ya novels w lgbtqia+ characters
- simple cami binderMENTAL ILLNESS
- 7 cups of tea
- anxiety masterpost
- bipolar disorder masterpost
- depression masterpost
- disorder specific coping strategies
- feeling isolated?
- help w mental illness
- if you’re not good at reading body language
- need help but low on cash?
- panic and anxiety info and resources
- read web text more easily
- recovering from emotional trauma
- recovery resourcesSCHOOL
- a fuckload of free books
- back to school masterpost
- can’t afford microsoft word?
- cool sciency things
- exam survival
- getting up in the morning
- gigantic study masterpost
- learn anything | also on youtube
- lots and lots of free books
- peer-reviewed alternative to wikipedia
- pull an all-nighter
- remember more of the things you study
- simple essay structure
- study skills
- useful websitesSELF CARE
- alleviate menstrual cramps
- boost your confidence
- funny non gendered sex education
- love yourself!
- more sex ed
- on your period?
- self help after anxiety
- stop biting your nails
- stop procrastinating
- stop skipping breakfast
- super silky summer legs
- tumblr saviour for the rest of the webSOUNDS
- all the music posts you’ve reblogged
- calming noises
- daft punk
- get shit done mix
- music to write to
- my mixes on 8tracks
- star trek ambient sounds
- star trek ds9 infirmary background ambience
- when you can’t remember the name of a song
- which artist should i listen to next?THEMES
- brilliant theme makers and other useful things
- list of simple theme makers
- make your own theme from scratch
- the cutest themes on this websiteTV
- 90’s cartoons
- black comedy written by charlie brooker
- bob ross’ joy of painting
- cute urban fantasy miniseries w positive depiction of a disabled character
- danish political intrigue w subtitles
- every star trek episode ever
- gangsters in the ’20s - gr8 lady characters
- giles & sue
- how to watch classic who | now here’s the masterpost!
- jack davenport and idris elba fight vampires
- paul mcgann fan? you will be after this
- series about cool people starting a colony on another planet - if you enjoy babylon 5 and deep space nine you’ll love this
- the hour
- the x files
- twin peaksMISC
you can call a character your precious baby, and gush over them, and think they’re the greatest thing ever,
and still recognize that they’ve done some pretty nasty shit.
please and thank you.
The Tumblr Advisory Panel Requests You
Love Tumblr? Want to help make Tumblr better? Certainly you do. The Tumblr Advisory Panel is the surveys you love in the advisory panel you’ve been dreaming of.
Thanks already for doing this. It means the world.
What are you guys waiting for, a written invitation? Because that’s exactly what this is. :) Now’s your chance to tell us what you really think!
You know I did this and it asked “How much do you use Tumblr” and I clicked “Several Time a Day” (BC it’s true)
And the next question started with
"Wow, really? THAT MUCH"
Don’t you judge me you’re a blogging platform
we have literally created our own dialogue? language? here on tumblr and i think that is the most amazing thing ever
please disregard my shitty editing skills
no listen this is actually really amazing because this is a real thing. i think this counts as a pidgin language. a pidgin language is basically a changed, simplified version of a language. you can change the spellings of words, pronunciation, grammar rules, or even make up new words. i think. i’d have to research it a bit more to be sure but i’m 90% sure this is right. if its not a pidgin language, then its a lingua franca but thats more used for trade and stuff like that. but still a new language. so yes, we’ve created our own language. we’ve changed the whole sentence structure. we can trail off sentences, say things like “i just cant”, and use words like ship, OTP, fic, fandom, feels, and ship names and everyone will understand what you’re saying. the part that i love most is how people go “OMGH IM CRIIY NIG SOIOO HARD” and understand each other. for example “IM LIUA GHMNIG”. that one was incredibly easy, but if you knew that said “I’m laughing”, congratulations. You speak a pidgin language. we can even say stuff like “Does anyone know of a Johnlock fic, at least 20k words, not a WIP, with no OCs, and is Post-Reichenbach? Or just a Destiel PWP would be great.” To someone not on tumblr, that wouldn’t make any sense. but you understood, didn’t you? One characteristic of a pidgin language is that you have to learn it like a second language. Another characteristic is that it is frequently changing. tumblr goes through many trends with how we talk. if i remember correctly, when i first made an account about two years ago, talking like this wasn’t quite as common. also, that thing of suddenly capitalizing your sentence is fairly recent. you know, when people go “the new epISODE IS TOMORROW”. Like one of the people up there said, all of this is awesome because how else do you easily show emotion and tone over the internet? we’ve even made a whole sense of humour that most people here share in. There’s so much more that I could talk about with this, but i’m tired and i may be entirely wrong about everything. but yes. people on the fandom side of tumblr who speak like this are speaking a new language
It’s more amazing when you think that the new language was developed almost exclusively through indirect communication.
Man I wish I still had linguisitics classes because I am sure this totally counts as a pidgin language…
Oh man, paint me green and call me Shrek, YES. This is the kind of post I’ve been waiting for.
I’m a second year English linguistics major, and according to my studies, the “Tumblr lingo” doesn’t really fall into the category of a pidgin language, but that is a clever thought, and you were definitely on the right track. Pidgin languages are essentially contact languages between different cultures, with a limited vocabulary and system of rules, that disappears completely after having served its purpose.
My favorite example is Russenorsk, the now extinct pidgin language created by Russian and Norwegian fishermen. These two languages had nothing on common, and fishermen, not generally being known for their high levels of education, probably didn’t speak any language other than their own which could have acted as a lingua franca (as English does on Tumblr and in general). Russenorsk had words only related to fishing and trading (NOTHING ELSE, you couldn’t have held a conversation about, let’s say, politics with that one), and it disappeared when the contact between the two cultures was terminated. That’s a true pidgin: an awkward, albeit revolutionary attempt at communication that’s forced into existence by simple necessity. It resembles a natural language, but is not nearly as expressive or useful in a modern person’s day to day life as a natural language.
TLDR, a pidgin is a temporary, limited mishmash of words that is not comparable to what we have here.
Tumblr lingo doesn’t adopt rules or words from other cultures, we just contort our existing knowledge of the English language into new shapes, based on a system of new, unspoken, arbitrary rules; while the new words are mostly acronyms and shorthands for already existing, common English words.
As I see it, Tumblr lingo is a sociolect of English. Not a dialect, that would imply that there is a specific place where it’s spoken, and as we know, tumblr’s audience is shockingly diverse. A sociolect, on the other hand, isn’t limited by location. It’s determined more by common experience (let’s say a workplace, or yes, a website with a strong social aspect) and social status. It includes words and expressions that are only used in that setting, and it may or may not have rules regulating the social behavior of the members. (I’m thinking of ”YAAAAAAS” now, and how it came to take the place of “yes” in certain settings, for example. Our usual, everyday reaction to a given situation changes when we’re in the setting where the sociolect that requires it is used. What’s special about Tumblr in this case is that it requires unpredictable responses, which is really dang impressive and interesting.)
That takes the circle back to OP’s question: why do popular posts observe these rules. It seems to me that the rules of Tumblr lingo are most often observed by those who are, or wish to be “Tumblr famous” (see, who wish to belong to an “elite” group or pretend that they do), or have a successful, widely known post. The upper class of our little, broken society uses broken grammar and a bastardized version of English, and it is (probably) unconsciously seen as a status symbol. We value nonchalance and unpredictable, wild emotions, and the Tumblr lingo aims to reflect just that in written form. And yes, I do believe that the tag system did participate in the abandonment of punctuation in our speech, but I could probably write a whole study about that alone.
All in all, this phenomenon is not necessarily unique, but I have never seen it change a language so violently, and I think that’s absolutely fascinating.